What a day! After sleeping all afternoon after my day procedure I thought I would share some cheesy comfort food goodness with you all. This is a super easy recipe and my partner reckons it’s delicious! It smelt pretty damn good to me, it’s just a shame I couldn’t eat it… Damn carbs! This recipe makes a MASSIVE amount of food so it’s great for sharing or if you have a big family (or big eaters)! So here’s the recipe of my Extra-Cheesy Mac’n’Cheese Bake. Enjoy!
500g macaroni pasta
8 rashers shortcut bacon
2 tsp crushed garlic
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup flour
1 litre milk
3/4 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Cook the pasta until tender in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water. Drain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius fan forced.
- Cook bacon, onion and garlic in a large saucepan until the onion is soft. To save on dishes I cooked the bacon mix in the same saucepan as the pasta. Add the bacon mix to the pasta and wipe the pan clean.
- Melt butter in the same saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook until the mixture is bubbling. This is the start of your cheese sauce, this usually takes about a minute. Gradually stir in the milk and mix until smooth.
- Turn up the heat ever so slightly and stir constantly for 8-10 minutes so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom. Keep stirring until the mixture boils and thickens. Stir in the grated mozzarella and add the cheese sauce to the pasta and bacon mixture.
- Season all of the ingredients in the bowl with salt and pepper and spoon mixture into a large, greased baking dish. Sprinkle the combined bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese over the top of the pasta mix until completely covered.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!
This Mac’n’Cheese bake is perfect served alone or with a side salad. Send or tag @_thebearandme in a picture if you make it yourself! I’d love to see you try it!
Now it’s time for dinner, shower and bed! Don’t forget to keep an eye out for Sunday’s post!